Thursday, March 6, 2008

Day 33 - Ville Platte, LA to Simmesport, LA (Who Let The Dog's Out?)

Miles Today: 70.14; Total Miles: 2177.0

Today was not one of my better days.

After eating a brief but filling continental breakfast at Best Western Ville Platte, I headed off to Simmesport. All I will say is that I met some very excited dogs along my route. I'm not going to get into the details because it has become a recurring story; just know that I love dogs and have had the pleasure to meet so many along the trip that I am just loving it (sensing sarcasm?).

Overall, I am enjoying riding through Louisiana. There has definitely been a difference in terrain between Texas and Louisiana along my route. In general, Texas has been brown and Louisiana has been very colorful with rich, green grass and plants and flowers of many colors.

The roads today were better than yesterday. They were long with gentle curves. There were many stretches of the road where you could see miles ahead so even though there was no shoulder, I felt like I was visible.

I did miss a turn but was able to get on a main road and made my way just fine to Simmesport - I might have even saved a few miles. I asked an old lady for directions but the road she put me on was not the correct one. I could not find anyone else to ask so I just took my best guess and went for it. It all worked out in the end.

The motel is just $42/night. It looks like it was decorated in the 60s with a bed, dresser, and TV from that era. Sorry, no phone or remote control in this room. It is clean though and the water pressure is outstanding. It's just for one night...

No comments: