Miles Today: 68.03; Total Miles: 3006.7
Hey, I made it over 3,000 miles!!!
Today is the last long day of my trip. I arranged my schedule so my last day of the trip (tomorrow) would be really short so today is the last time that I have to do mega mileage.
My route today will take me through Gainesville and then SR 20 E where I will stay until I hit Palatka.
I reached Gainesville in 23 miles and was feeling excited about this being the last REAL day of riding. It was about that time when the wind hit me. It didn't just hit me though, it bounced me around and tossed me to-and-fro. Winds had to be around 18 mph with gust up to 25 mph -- all coming out of the east.
The wind to me is probably my least favorite part of the trip with dogs being a close second. Today's wind was in my face for most of the remaining 40-some miles. It TOTALLY drained me. Even though this was a day with less mileage than usual, I felt pretty bad and was wasted by the time I got to East Palatka.
Tonight I am staying at the Quality Inn and Suites for my last night's motel stay. This motel is located right next to the beautiful and scenic St. John's River. Tomorrow I will only have 28 miles to make it to St. Augustine. My friend Joe (yes, the one that rode with me through AZ and NM) happens to be in Florida on business at this time and said that he wants to come at meet me at the finish line. Isn't that GREAT! He is going to pick me up and take me back to Orlando tomorrow to meet his coworkers. There we will celebrate my accomplishment. Then, on Wednesday, March 19th I will drive to my friend Linda's house in Tampa, FL with my bike. I will leave my bike and gear at her house and then fly home on Thursday, March 20th. This will put me at home in time for Easter weekend where my family plans on having a get-together.
Side Note: Again I want to thank everyone who is sending comments, emails, calling, etc. I have gotten all of the messages and I have to say they have helped my mental state TREMENDOUSLY. Before I started the trip I was really thinking that the mental part of this was going to be a real challenge. However, with all of your support I think things have gone surprisingly smoothly. Thanks Again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I/we have been so faithful in praying for you. God has been so faithful in taking care of you. You made it! You made it! You made it! Praise God ! Congratulations! You did it!!!
Post a Comment