Friday, February 1, 2008

2 Days to Go - Final Preparations

I'm all ready to go. My bike has been received and assembled at a local bike shop in San Diego and my mom has collected all of my important information in case something happens to me during the trip. Tomorrow I will fly out to San Diego, get my bike and shop for some food for my first day. I'm staying at a hostel in a dorm room that holds eight so hopefully I will be able to get enough sleep for the start. I plan to leave around 5:30 - 6 am so I can maximize my riding time as much as possible.

Unfortunately, the weather report is calling for rain and wind; hopefully the wind will be blowing in my direction. This day is destined to be one of the most challenging of the trip. It will be 49.5 miles of riding with a climb from sea level to 4000 ft (sounds like fun). I quote Mr T from Rocky 3, "I have a prediction...PAIN!" The bright side is that it's all downhill from there...well, not really.

Thanks for all of the song submissions. I will have 198 songs to fuel my ride. I'm sure I will have some kid along the way look out his car window and say to his mom, "Hey mom, why is that biker man dancing on his bike?" Believe me, THAT WILL HAPPEN.

Here we go! Anybody else excited???

mike

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Life is like a box of chocolates, Forest! I like how you taste each piece!
MPAWU--(my prayers are with u) Linda

Unknown said...

I'm excited. Will follow closely. Life is like a box of chocolates, Forest! So taste them all! MPAWY
Linda

Anonymous said...

Mike,
Good luck on your journey across America.
Ken M.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck, Keep riding. If you get board, think about heading north to ride through the snow, sleet and rain with bicycle treads! otherwise I'll keep reading your blog.
Vince C.