Miles Today: 84.92; Total Miles: 718.9
Ok, we have to make Silver City because Joe's flight leaves tomorrow morning.
The day started off with some KILLER climbs that left me gasping for breath and Joe walking and biking most of the time. I told Joe that I really wanted to try to climb this mountain pass so I went ahead of him. I would periodically stop along the way and wait for Joe. To traverse the Pass you had to go up a series of switchbacks. This was great because as I was climbing I could see Joe making his way up. It was a VERY tough climb but Joe and I made it up in record time (if that record is for the slowest ascent). On the other side of the mountain we found New Mexico - I was wondering where that was. We stopped to take our pictures in front of the sign. One day I will get that picture up but for now you just have to imagine it.
After we got into New Mexico the terrain really changed. It went from all of these brown, jagged, beautiful mountains with lots of shadows to softer looking mountains with high, haylike grass that blew in the wind. From a riding perspective we were riding directly into a strong headwind. Joe wanted to draft off of me and save his energy for the mileage. He kept saying how great it was to be out of the wind. For me, it wasn't so great. The wind totally drained me. The terrain was a series of humpback hills and mostly flat but I felt like they were some VERY hard miles.
We decided to stop in Buckhorn, NM for lunch at a place called the 'Last Chance Liquor' place or something like that. It was just a grocery store and restaurant with a catchy name. The lady there was very nice and when our cell phones did not work, she let us use her phone to call ahead to the hotel and bike shop. We spent about an hour and a half in there and had lunch.
Before we got to Buckhorn I was feeling drained but after I was ready for some more miles. I guess a little food energizes me. Luckily for us the wind had died down so the rest of the ride was not as tough. With about 10 miles left before reaching Silver City we both started to get ancy so mentally it got really tough.
We were happy to arrive at the hotel and ordered some Dominos which is ALWAYS a good idea in my book. I fell asleep soon after but Joe had to box up his bike for the flight home so he said that he got to sleep about 1 am.
This was the last day of my trip with Joe. I hated that he was leaving tomorrow. I had such a great time with him. Joe is an amazing person and I am so glad that I know him. Lorie, you said that I was the most determined person you met. You have not met Joe. He came into this trip without much training and gritted his way through all of these miles. Unfortunately, I did not take it easy on him either. To make it 300 miles in 4 days you have to put in some SERIOUS mileage and Joe toughed out every last mile. He told me in the beginning that he wanted to make the mileage but it might take him all day to do it. What can I say, I have never met anyone in my life that has a 'No Quit' attitude like Joe. I honestly thought it was impossible to get to Silver City on time but he proved me wrong. Thanks Joe for contributing to some GREAT memories for this trip!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment