Friday, February 8, 2008

Day 6 - Quartzsite, AZ to Aguila, AZ (Hear Those Coyotes)

Miles Today: 70.46; Total Miles: 325.7

My whole ride today was on US 60. It was a GREAT road with a very nice shoulder (although I mostly rode in the road anyway). It was flat and uneventful. I listened to music and watched the flat scenery go by. It's a day like this that makes me thankful for all of the music you guys came up with.

By the time I reached Aguila I was ready for the motel. I got to good ole 'Jim Burro' motel and they told me that they did not have any rooms available. This is the only motel in town. Then, they said that the next town does not have any room either because there is a special event going on during the weekend and all of the motels in the area are filled. The lady suggested a campground about a mile back up the road. With no other options, I decided to stay there for the night.

This is the first time that I was camping because the mornings have been so cold. I've been staying in motels because I knew that in the morning I would have to assemble the cargo on my bike and it is a lot nicer to be in a warm room when you are doing that. The campsite only costed me $10 and included the shower. I camped next to a german couple (man was 69, wife was 58) who are biking the whole world. They told me many stories of their travels. They said they had logged more than 46,000 km so far and still have 666 days to go. In light of this, I saved my travel stories for another day.

I tried to call my mom on the cell to tell her about my day and I could not get through. This is the first time that I did not have cell phone coverage. I knew that my mom was probably panicking at this point because I've called every day at lunch and after my ride to talk with her and let her know I'm ok. Unfortunately, this is supposed to happen for a long stretch through New Mexico so maybe this will prepare her for it later.

In the middle of the night a train went by and blew it's horn. One lone coyote started wailing. On the second horn blow hundreds of coyotes joined in. That was so cool (only because they were far away)!

Got going to Phoenix at 5:50 am the next day.

No comments: