Monday, February 11, 2008

Day 9 - Phoenix, AZ to Superior, AZ (City Riding)

Miles Today: 94.03; Total Miles: 491.1

Joe was riding with me from Phoenix, AZ to Silver City, NM. I originally thought that we would be riding together for 5 days but was told by Joe that he could only ride with me for 4. This was a problem because the total trip mileage for us was about 300 miles so we would have to average approximately 75 miles/day to make it to Silver City. When I informed Joe about this he said that he was willing to do the mileage but he would have to take his time during the days with a lot of breaks to be able to accomplish it. I personally thought that the mileage was impossible to make because Joe said that he had been doing something every day but had only been doing about 20 miles when he would ride at home. He just thought that he would do his best and if he couldn't make it, he would just take a cab to Silver City to catch his flight back.

The trip out of Phoenix was filled with city driving. We went through Phoenix, Tempe, and Mesa through all of the city streets (with stop lights). It was a very slow 94 miles. We ended the day in Superior tired and wanting a motel bed. We arrived late at night and stayed at a very basic motel right in town.

I was AMAZED that Joe could do all the miles. At the end of the day he said that his cardio was fine but his knees and butt hurt a little. We will see what the rest of the 3 days brings. I just thought it was great biking with Joe and a lot of fun talking and laughing along the way.

No comments: