Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Day 4 - Brawley, CA to Palo Verde, CA (Rolling Hills)

Miles Today: 69.30; Total Miles: 208.9

I really enjoyed today's ride. Now my bike was working perfectly and the scenery was amazing. I rode through the Imperial Sand Dunes and through the Chocolate Mountains (pictures to come). I also went through a Border Patrol Inspection Station where they stopped me and asked my country of origin and asked me, "Where are you going?" I replied, "Today?" I told them that I was travelling from Brawley to Palo Verde and they briefly looked at my cargo and sent me on my way.

The first half of the ride was flat so I made some excellent time. In the second half, it was a series of humpback mountains that were driving me crazy. This was different as it appeared on the map. I thought I would have a nice downhill to finish the day. What happened was that I spent the whole time switching gears between the low and the high gears and I had no rest. By the time I reached Palo Verde I was ready for my shower and bed. I stayed at a little motel called the Lagoon Lodge. Next store was the Lagoon Saloon and a gas station. Across the street was an RV park...that's about it. The people that I met were VERY nice and hospitable.

Physically I feel pretty good. I don't have saddle sores or back sores that I thought I would have at this point. I have some pain in my shoulder/neck and the front of my thighs feel like jelly. I am looking forward to Phoenix where I am planning a day off at my sister's house on Day 8.

No comments: