Thursday, February 28, 2008

Day 26 - Austin, TX to La Grange, TX (Call Me The Breeze)

Miles Today: 75.66; Total Miles: 1744.4

I am having no luck when it comes to wind. Today I had about a 25 mph headwind most of the way. One thing I can say...hills don't seem to be a problem anymore, but the wind is another thing entirely. It will take the wind right out of you...ha!

Today was also the first full day with my new back rack and rear panniers (saddlebags). They are GREAT! No problems and because of the lower center of gravity I can now stand up on my bike to do hills. Before my garbage can would sway back and forth too much and really threw off the bike's balance. I am really glad I switched. I hope it keeps up.

Anyway, getting out of Austin proved to be more difficult than I thought. I started today at 7:15 and headed southeast out of Austin. I could not seem to find the road I was looking for. I had to backtrack at least 3 times on the same road until I finally decided a different plan of attack. The rush hour traffic didn't help either. When I finally got out of the city I had driven an additional 7 miles! Fun, Fun, Fun.

Then, about 20 miles into the day I rode through Bastrop State Park. The directions on my map were too vague and I ended up taking the long way through the park (additional miles, of course). I was trying to be patient but it was making me a little upset, I have to say.

I arrived in La Grange at approx. 2:15 pm. I found a Best Western to stay at for the night. These motels are emptying out my wallet. I am seriously thinking about starting to camp out more to save money.

Tomorrow, my destination is Navasota (the last destination on Map 4). Starting Map 5 means that I only have 3 more maps (out of 7) to go so I am making some real progress.

Side Note: I wanted to say that I am really enjoying all of your comments and emails. I really appreciate that you take the time and write a little something. It really refreshes my spirit when I read them. Thanks!

No comments: