Miles Today: 70.39; Total Miles: 634.0
We were ready to get out of Bylas. Joe arranged for us to stay in a campsite in Three Way. We went through Geronimo and had lunch in Safford where Joe got new tires for his bike at the bike shop. He told me earlier that his back tire had a slow leak and he was working really hard during the days to keep up because of it. He was really happy about the new tires and said that he definitely noticed a difference after that.
Unfortunately, we spent so much time in Safford that we arrived in Three Way at night. But that is not the whole story. When Joe called ahead to the campsite he also asked when the grocery store closed. The campsite owner said that it closed at 8 pm. There was a time during our day where we discussed our options. Joe was very concerned about us not eating and said that we HAD to make it to the store before it closed. He also said though that if we kept going at his pace we would never make it. At 5:22 pm with a monster hill facing us and 14 miles to go, we decided to split up and I would try to get there by 8. He said that he would meet me at the campsite. He said that if I had any problems or concerns to just call him (we both had cell phones).
I took off like there was no tomorrow. I've never gone that fast up a hill before; I guess the adrenaline kicked in. The hill didn't feel too bad. However, the downhill on the other side had to be the most scary ride I have ever had. Picture this...about a 7-mile downhill in the dark (I had a light on the front of my bike), half way down the hill there was a construction zone with only one lane of traffic available that continued the rest of the way! I was white-knuckling it down and praying along the way. I didn't want to use my brakes because I didn't want to burn them out so I just let the bike go. I just got in the middle of the right lane and FLEW down the hill. I ended up doing 46.6 miles/hour...Oh My!
Anyway, I got to the store in one hour. When I got in there I called Joe and asked what he wanted (in the way of groceries). I also told him about the hill he was about to descend. All I could say was "BE CAREFUL!" Unlike me Joe did not have a front light on his bike...need I say more.
I did not skimp on our groceries. I bought enough to fill up a box. I loaded that on the bike along with my other load and went to look for the campsite. I went down the road and looked for it but in the dark it was tough to find anything. I stopped in the driveway of a house to call Joe and see how he was doing. Before I made the call, the owner of the house came home on his motorcycle and asked me if I needed help. I told him I was looking for the campsite and he said it was about a half mile back up the road. I told him what I was doing and he graciously offered for us to stay with him and his wife. His name was Coy and his wife's name was Kat. He works supplying the power for the local mine workers and Kat was in construction. I told Coy that I would come in as soon as Joe arrived. When I called Joe he had arrived at the grocery store (about an hour later). I told him that a person I met had offered for us to stay with him and his wife. Joe said that this sounded great and he would meet me in a little bit. I think we were both longing for a bed by now. Joe showed up about 10 minutes later.
Coy and Kat were so nice and accommodating...thanks. They offered us each our own rooms with a double bed in each. We did our laundry, checked email, and they even offered us food. We told them that we bought our own.
I can't say enough about them. Unfortunately it is rare to meet people like that and we are sooo grateful that we chanced into staying with them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The people you are running into are called Trail Angels if you were hiking the Apalachian trail. You need to add to this and write a book when you're done.
Thanks for sharing Mike.
Bigmo.
Post a Comment