Monday, February 18, 2008

Day 16 - Fabens, TX to Van Horn, TX (Riding on I-10)

Miles Today: 97.94; Total Miles: 1034.0

Today's the day I rode over the 1000 mile mark!

My plan was to start doing more days of close to 100 miles because Texas is so long that I just wanted to get through it from a mental standpoint. The Texas route covers 1080 miles so it is literally 1/3 of the trip.

I rode about 60 miles on I-10. The maps have the riders ride on a frontage road right next to I-10 but because of the condition of the frontage road I decided to stay on I-10. This was possible because the road just parallels the highway. I also like riding on the interstate because I like when the trucks go by and give me a little push. Plus, the shoulder is sooo much smoother than any of the side roads.

I stopped for lunch in Sierra Blanca and called mom. That night I stayed in the Motel 6 paying only $42.99 with my AAA membership which I LOVED. Got some Pizza Hut that night so I was feeling pretty good.

No comments: